Re: RAID newbie, 1 vs 5, chunk sizes

On 18/06/14 19:58, Mathias Burén wrote:
On 18 June 2014 11:19, Dag Nygren <dag@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Just love my HGST 4 TB drives. The first ones that haven't
developed any pending/remapped sectors during the 9 months
they have been in 24/7 use. Previously tried different Seagates, with
constant problems (And yes - Had the SCT turned on). Also tested a WD red,
but saw similar symptoms developing and so degraded that to a storage
disk for my boy...
HGST was some 20€ more expensive and hard to get here but definitely
worth it.

If we're comparing drives, my 8x WD20EARS / EARX have been spinning
for years. 2 drives just failed after ~3.4 years uptime (24/7) and
over 400,000 head parkings. They had weekly SMART self-test and
monthly RAID6 scrubs, and a few unexpected power losses. Good value.
But YMMV.

My experience has been almost any drive, no matter how naff can be made to last well by simply keeping them spinning and at a roughly constant temperature. I generally replace my bulk storage drives at about 4 years. My first lot were Maxtor 250G cheapies and all 12 of them went for over 4.5 years. My current batch are WD Green 2TB and they all have ~26,000 hours on them. One of my SAS drives has over 49,000 hours on it. Even a set of cheap Maxtor DiamondMAX 22 1TB drives lasted near enough to 25,000 hours before I relegated them to an off-line backup machine.

The constant has been keeping them running 24/7 and doing a pretty thorough burn in to weed out the early life failures.

For example the random WD Green 2T I picked has 26,917 hours and 60 power cycles. Most of those would have been caused over a 12 week period when I had power issues with the UPS and none would have been off long enough to noticeably let the drive cool down.

Keep 'em spinning and warm.