Re: RAID newbie, 1 vs 5, chunk sizes

On Monday 16 June 2014 13:36:44 Nuno Magalhães wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 3:23 AM, Phil Turmel <philip@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Before going any further, check the TLER/ERC support for these drives.
>
> Both Seagate ST1000DM0003 don't have that:
> Warning: device does not support SCT Error Recovery Control command
>
> The Toshiba DT01ACA100 seems to have, but disabled:
> SCT Error Recovery Control:
>            Read: Disabled
>           Write: Disabled
>
> I couldn't find any specs with specific details on this feature for
> the Toshiba, and i'm not sure if it's safe to issue smartctl -l
> scterc,70,70 on a drive thay may not support it. If it's disabled as
> an incentive to buy more expensive drives, will the drive just ignore
> this command or will it decide to roast?
>
> Are there any - recommended - consumer-grade drives out there that do
> support TLER? I was going for 1TB@7200, but that can change. I started
> disliking Seagate after a ST31000528AS died on me. They bought Maxtor
> a long time ago and recently bought Samsung's disk division. I've had
> no qualms with Toshiba. I'm not so sure on WD, they used to be less
> that good; and haven't tried Hitachi. What say you?

Just love my HGST 4 TB drives. The first ones that haven't
developed any pending/remapped sectors during the 9 months
they have been in 24/7 use. Previously tried different Seagates, with
constant problems (And yes - Had the SCT turned on). Also tested a WD red,
but saw similar symptoms developing and so degraded that to a storage
disk for my boy...
HGST was some 20€ more expensive and hard to get here but definitely
worth it.

YMMV

Dag