Re: raid6 - data integrity issue - data mis-compare on rebuilding RAID 6 - with 100 Mb resync speed.

On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 12:21 AM, NeilBrown <neilb@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Apr 2014 10:02:00 -0700 Dan Williams <dan.j.williams@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 12:07 AM, NeilBrown <neilb@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > This narrows it down to between 2.6.29 and 2.6.32 - is that correct?
>> >
>> > So it is probably the change to RAID6 to support async parity calculations.
>> >
>> > Looking at the code always makes my head spin.
>> >
>> > Dan : have you any ideas?
>> >
>> > It seems that writing to a double-degraded RAID6 while it is recovering to
>> > a space can trigger data corruption.
>> >
>> > 2.6.29 works
>> > 2.6.32 doesn't
>> > 3.8.0 still doesn't.
>> >
>> > I suspect async parity calculations.
>>
>> I'll take a look.  I've had cleanups of that code on my backlog for "a
>> while now (TM)".
>

> Hi Dan,
>  did you have a chance to have a look?
>
> I've been consistently failing to find anything.
>
> I have a question though.
> If we set up a chain of async dma handling via:
>    ops_run_compute6_2 then ops_bio_drain then ops_run_reconstruct
>
> is it possible for the ops_complete_compute callback set up by
> ops_run_compute6_2 to be called before ops_run_reconstruct has been scheduled
> or run?

In the absence of a dma engine we never run asynchronously, so we will
*always* call ops_complete_compute() before ops_run_reconstruct() in
the synchronous acse.  This looks confused.  We're certainly leaking
an uptodate state prior to the completion of the write.

> If so, there seems to be some room for confusion over the setting for
> R5_UPTODATE on blocks that are being computed and then drained to.  Both will
> try to set the flag, so it could get set before reconstruction has run.
>
> I can't see that this would cause a problem, but then I'm not entirely sure
> why we clear R5_UPTODATE when we set R5_Wantdrain.

Let me see what problems this could be causing.  I'm thinking we
should be protected by the global ->reconstruct_state, but something
is telling me we do depend on R5_UPTODATE being consistent with the
ongoing stripe operation.

--
Dan