Re: Hardware advice for software raid

On 4/9/2014 3:21 PM, Barrett Lewis wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 10:53 PM, Stan Hoeppner <stan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Replacing the heatsink is low cost, low risk.  If it doesn't fix the
>> problem and you end up replacing the mobo you can likely use it on the
>> new board's PCH as well.
>
> Good point, I'm down for just owning a good chipset heatsink for this
> or any other board.
>
>> Due to ever increasing integration, most mobos today have a single
>> system support chip in place of the previous north/south bridge duo.
>> Aftermarket heatsinks are typically sized such that larger units are for
>> the "northbridge" and smaller units for the "southbridge".
>> "Northbridge" heatsinks are typically used for single chip systems as
>> the mounting footprint and thermal output are similar.
>
> Thanks for explaining this, I was getting really confused.
>
>> Measure between the approximate centers of the two spring loaded plastic
>> mounting tabs.  You don't need an exact measurement to 1mm, but a
>> ballpark.  The hole spacing is fairly standardized by the industry.
>> Your measurement should fall into one of 3 ranges, and this will dictate
>> which heatsink you buy:
>>
>> 47.5 - 53mm
>> 53   - 59mm
>> 59   - 63mm
>>

> I ran home during lunch and tried to get a quick measurement.  I kept
> coming up with 53mm which makes me nervous since it straddles two of
> your ranges, but I measured twice.

Don't be nervous.  Enzo makes only one model to fit 47.5-53.5mm, the
SLF-30 for Southbridge chips.  They make 5 models to fit 53-59mm
Northbridge or single chip footprints.  You want one of these.

> Since you say the bigger passive cooler is better anyway,

Only in a chassis with good airflow over the motherboard.  If you don't
have this an active cooler is better.  But I'd guess your server does
have decent airflow over this area of the board.

> maybe I should get that CNB-R1, with the multiple mounting rings?

Overkill, lose slots.

> My only hesitation is if I do ever decide to go with a discrete HBA
> (and potentially needed more than one if I had more than 8 drives) I
> would be using more of those expansion slots.

Just go with the EnzoTech CNB-S1L which is tailored to your application.
 It has a mass of 50 grams and is 1.41 x 1.41 x 0.46" in dimension, will
not interfere with expansion cards.  Its thermal performance is roughly
equivalent to an aluminum heatsink 2-3x its dimensions and fin area.
The base is polished to .0004" so with correct application of Arctic
thermal interface material your thermal junction between heatsink and
chip will be 100 times better than the current heatsink, which may not
even have any TIM--factory NB/SB heatsinks often have no TIM, or they
have cheap thermal tape.

Get:
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/5520/vid-84/Enzotech_Forged_Copper_Northbridge_Low-Profile_Heatsink_CNB-S1L_-_36mm_x_36mm_x_116mm.html?tl=g40c16s500&id=ThjnNJ9H

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/3769/thr-02/Arctic_Alumina_Premium_Ceramic_Thermal_Compound_-_175_Grams_AA-175G.html?tl=g8c127s533

Pick up a small can of acetone and q-tips.  Nail polish remover will
work as well.  These will be used to delicately remove any TIM/tape film
stuck to the chip after removing the stock heatsink, if there is any.
May want to pull it and check first.  Once you have the chip completely
clean, apply a tiny dab of Arctic TIM to the center of the chip, about
the size of the lead on the end of a sharp pencil.  Use a razor blade or
credit card, any rigid plastic card, to spread the TIM into an even film
across the chip.  You want a layer across the entire surface so thin you
can just see through it.  Place the new heatsink on top and push the
retaining pins through the board.  You're done.

Cheers,

Stan