Re: Hardware advice for software raid

On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 10:53 PM, Stan Hoeppner <stan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Replacing the heatsink is low cost, low risk.  If it doesn't fix the
> problem and you end up replacing the mobo you can likely use it on the
> new board's PCH as well.

Good point, I'm down for just owning a good chipset heatsink for this
or any other board.

> Due to ever increasing integration, most mobos today have a single
> system support chip in place of the previous north/south bridge duo.
> Aftermarket heatsinks are typically sized such that larger units are for
> the "northbridge" and smaller units for the "southbridge".
> "Northbridge" heatsinks are typically used for single chip systems as
> the mounting footprint and thermal output are similar.

Thanks for explaining this, I was getting really confused.

> Measure between the approximate centers of the two spring loaded plastic
> mounting tabs.  You don't need an exact measurement to 1mm, but a
> ballpark.  The hole spacing is fairly standardized by the industry.
> Your measurement should fall into one of 3 ranges, and this will dictate
> which heatsink you buy:
>
> 47.5 - 53mm
> 53   - 59mm
> 59   - 63mm

I ran home during lunch and tried to get a quick measurement.  I kept
coming up with 53mm which makes me nervous since it straddles two of
your ranges, but I measured twice. Since you say the bigger passive
cooler is better anyway, maybe I should get that CNB-R1, with the
multiple mounting rings?

My only hesitation is if I do ever decide to go with a discrete HBA
(and potentially needed more than one if I had more than 8 drives) I
would be using more of those expansion slots.