Re: If separate md for /boot, OS, and /srv, must 'create' on disks with 3 partns?

On Mon, 2014-01-20 at 19:07 +0000, Ron Leach wrote:
> On 20/01/2014 18:29, Phil Turmel wrote:
> >
> > Let me clarify:  /dev/md0 should be a v0.90 or v1.0 raid1 for /boot, no LVM.
>  >
>  > /dev/md1 is an LVM PV for the OS.
>

> Ok.  That means I need physical partitions for those, on each of the
> drives.
>
> Since I am using 3TB drives, I'll need to use a GPT which, if I
> understand correctly, requires to reveal a dummy 'partition' to make
> the BIOS think there is a boot sector thingy there.
>
> So I'm assuming to pre-partition the physical devices this way:
>
> /dev/sd[x]1 - 64k (? I'm checking the docs) empty, for BIOS to see

I've set mine to 1MB (bios boot, EF02 in gdisk) this means it aligns
nicely on the 1 MB partition as does its start position 2048 sectors on
a 512e drive.

> /dev/sd[x]2 - 128 MB /boot v0.90/v1.0 RAID1, /dev/md0

I'm not sure here, but I have no problems using a 1.2 metadata
partition... I think the reason it works is that the stuff in biosboot
contains everything needed to boot, the "boot" directory is not needed
with biosboot as its only a temp staging area used to build the boot
loader which is then copied to the biosboot...

I would check this for yourself just to be sure; I recall I kept it as a
seperate partition due to a miss-understanding and/or it seemed the
"right way" at the time.