Re: Rebuild events while scrubbing - problems or just informational?

On Tue, 10 Dec 2013 17:55:06 +0100 Can Jeuleers <can.jeuleers@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> On 12/10/2013 09:52 AM, Robin Hill wrote:
> >> Dec  8 14:30:01 c2RAID6 mdadm[1838]: RebuildStarted event detected on
> >> md device /dev/md/3
> >> Dec  8 15:03:21 c2RAID6 mdadm[1838]: Rebuild26 event detected on md
> >> device /dev/md/3
> >> Dec  8 15:36:41 c2RAID6 mdadm[1838]: Rebuild49 event detected on md
> >> device /dev/md/3
> >> Dec  8 16:10:01 c2RAID6 mdadm[1838]: Rebuild70 event detected on md
> >> device /dev/md/3
> >> Dec  8 16:43:21 c2RAID6 mdadm[1838]: Rebuild87 event detected on md
> >> device /dev/md/3
> >>

> > They're perfectly normal if you're doing a repair - I don't think they
> > should be there for a check though. It's just mdadm in monitor mode
> > reporting the progress (the numbers are the percentage completed) to
> > syslog.  According to the manual the default reporting interval is 20
> > percent, but I think it actually triggers on a completed stripe (or
> > block of stripes) so the numbers aren't exactly on the interval.
>
> I see them as well during checks. Although I can't find documentation
> stating so I regard them as normal.
> --

% man mdadm

Search for "RebuildStarted"

           RebuildStarted
                  An  md array started reconstruction. (syslog priority: Warn-
                  ing)

           RebuildNN
                  Where NN is a two-digit number (ie. 05, 48). This  indicates
                  that  rebuild has passed that many percent of the total. The
                  events are generated with fixed increment since 0. Increment
                  size  may be specified with a commandline option (default is
                  20). (syslog priority: Warning)

This is in a section which starts

MONITOR MODE
       Usage: mdadm --monitor options... devices...

       This usage causes mdadm to periodically poll a number of md arrays  and
       to report on any events noticed.  mdadm will never exit once it decides
       that there are arrays to be checked, so it should normally  be  run  in
       the background.

I guess that doesn't explicitly say it is normal, but that is the intent :-)

They should be generated from recovery, resync, reshape, check, repair and
anything else that might be added which processes the whole array like that.
I guess "Rebuild" isn't a very generic word.. but
   "StuffStarted"
   "Stuff20"
   "StuffFinished"
probably wouldn't go down well either.