Re: Running check and e2fsck simultaneously

On Nov 10, 2013, at 10:12 PM, Stan Hoeppner <stan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> USB is not a storage protocol.  USB devices often disconnect/reconnect
> for no apparent reason.  We see this frequently with the little vendor
> USB disk drives (Seagate/WD) and also generic disk enclosures.  USB is
> not a proper protocol for md/RAID storage.  You may have continual
> problems with this setup.
>
> If the laptop has an eSATA port use eSATA.  If not, drop in an eSATA
> PCMCIA card.  This should be much more reliable than USB for this
> application.

Actually, it's a good piece of advice. Now all I need is to figure out if I I can do this with the hardware I've got.

However, I feel compelled to say that my USB drives (I have had several… 4 to be precise, now 5) have been incredibly reliable throughout all these years. No connection problems whatsoever, no flakiness/flapping of any kind. Very solid and reliable as for a home, midrange 7 years old laptop and three 7 years old drives. I've been using them for all sorts of things, from backups to torrents and storing virtual machine disk images, etc. Very reliable. The only concern I have is that performance sometimes may not be enough, but by and large it is not a problem for me and so I get by just fine.

Installing an eSATA PCMCIA card is actually a great idea, and I almost falmpaced when I realized I could've probably resolved performance issues long time ago and the solution was in front of me all this time, but then again the problem was from a pressing character and so I have been really content most of the time with what I have.

>>> Also, I see little/no value in running a scheduled mdadm check on a
>>> RAID1 array.  Any problems with RAID1 will be due to one of the disks
>>> beginning to fail in some mode, usually requiring sector relocation.
>>> Most drives do this automatically until they run out of spare sectors,
>>> at which point md will throw write errors.  Monitoring SMART data and/or
>>> running SMART self analysis on a schedule is much more effective here,
>>> as you will become aware of a problem sooner, and have the opportunity
>>> to correct it before it shows up in md.
>>
>> Bare with me, I know very little about how RAID works so I can sometimes make totally absurd statements. That being said, I intend to monitor SMART values and I'm wondering now why does it make sense to run check on other types of RAID? I assume 5/6/10 mostly?
>>
>> I'm also wondering if it is advised to run check with filesystem mounted and in use, or unmounted?
>
> Instead of using a connection method known to cause problems with
> storage, and then attempting to mitigate such damage with array/fs
> checks after the fact, why not simply avoid the problem in the first
> place?  Use eSATA, or build/buy a little NFS/Samba NAS filer.

As I said in my particular configuration it is a pretty solid connection. No experience with NAS filers here, but I'm definitely looking this option up as well (already googled it up and reading a description).

What about filesystem state? Does it matter if a filesystem is mounted when check is run?

Ivan