Re: ISW fakeraid: fail to add back a disk previously removed

On Fri, 8 Nov 2013 14:33:24 +0000 "Dorau, Lukasz" <lukasz.dorau@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> On Friday, November 08, 2013 2:46 PM Francis Moreau <francis.moro@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > If you created a RAID array with mdadm, it would work correctly - recovery would
> > > start.
> >
> > Nope, I've got an identical behaviour if the array is created by mdadm (v3.3).
> >

> I have checked it twice with Fedora 19 and mdadm v3.3 and it works.
> What OS are you running?
>
> > As you can see, I'm confused about ISW vs IMSM.
> >
> > Are those 2 formats the same thing ?
> >

> ISW is a name of Intel metadata used by dmraid and IMSM is a name of Intel metadata used by mdadm, but ISW in dmraid has not been supported and developed for a couple of years, so ISW might be called an old version of IMSM.
>
> Lukasz

Unless we identify something in the metadata the dmraid writes which clearly
contravene the specification, we must assume there is a bug in mdadm.  I
haven't had a change to look at this properly yet but I hope to next week.

NeilBrown