Re: Removable mirror disks?

On Sun, Oct 13, 2013 at 5:53 PM, Phil Turmel <philip@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Good morning Ethan,
>
> On 10/12/2013 02:15 PM, Ethan Tira-Thompson wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I’m setting up a raid mirror with two disks.  Ideally, I’d like to do
>> this in such a way that I could stop the array, remove a drive, mount
>> it directly on another machine as read-only (no RAID setup), and then
>> put it back in the RAID and re-assemble as if nothing happened.  (Or
>> I could put a new drive in and keep the old one as a snapshot
>> backup.)  It’s a maintenance option, not something I intend to do a
>> lot.
>>
>> Can I do this?  I’ve tried creating a raid from the root block device
>> (e.g. sdb) and then partitioning and formatting within the RAID, as
>> well as the opposite, partitioning the block device and making a raid
>> of the partition.  Neither of these seems happy if I pull a drive and
>> try to use it directly.  Is that due to the mdadm metadata
>> overwriting/offsetting the filesystem?  Would something like DDF
>> containers solve this?  Or if I shrink the filesystem on a partition
>> (leaving unused space on the partition) and then use metadata version
>> 1.0? (not sure I can do that, everything I’ve seen resizes the
>> partition too)
>
> It is theoretically possible to do this, and even convenient to leave
> the main system running by appropriate use of a write-intent bitmap.
> However, you can't use mdadm to access the pulled drive, as it will bump
> the event count and cause 'split-brain'.
>
> If you use metadata 0.9 or 1.0, you can mount the underlying device
> directly.  This is hazardous, even with a read-only mount, as
> filesystems generally do a mini-fsck on any mount (journal replay, etc).
>  That makes the copy unusable in the original array.  The original array
> has no way to figure out at re-insertion that this type of corruption
> has happened.
>
> So the practical answer is *no*, once you access the data on the pulled
> drive.
I'd say there is at least one way - you can use dm-setup to build
overlayed block device, from your disk (say sdb) and some
ramdrive/fs-based block device (losetup) - so reads will go to sdb,
writes will go to that ramdrive, original device will be untouched.
More info can be found here
https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/device-mapper/snapshot.txt
and here http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/35286/how-to-create-a-snapshot-of-a-physical-disk

>> An unrelated question: I’ve heard some implementations RAID-1
>> mirroring will load balance reads between the disks at the process
>> level but not striping of reads within a thread?  How does linux raid
>> handle this?  Seems like the kernel could stripe the read requests
>> regardless of being single threaded, but maybe there’s some
>> complication of guaranteeing coherency with writes to each drive?
>
> Raid 1 just passes complete read requests through the block layer to one
> of the underlying devices, and write requests to all of the underlying
> devices.  So the load balancing happens at the level of complete
> requests.  If a process is multi-threaded and submitting multiple
> simultaneous requests, those will load balance.
>
> HTH,
>
> Phil
> --

Best regards,