Removable mirror disks?

Hi all,

I’m setting up a raid mirror with two disks.  Ideally, I’d like to do this in such a way that I could stop the array, remove a drive, mount it directly on another machine as read-only (no RAID setup), and then put it back in the RAID and re-assemble as if nothing happened.  (Or I could put a new drive in and keep the old one as a snapshot backup.)  It’s a maintenance option, not something I intend to do a lot.

Can I do this?  I’ve tried creating a raid from the root block device (e.g. sdb) and then partitioning and formatting within the RAID, as well as the opposite, partitioning the block device and making a raid of the partition.  Neither of these seems happy if I pull a drive and try to use it directly.  Is that due to the mdadm metadata overwriting/offsetting the filesystem?  Would something like DDF containers solve this?  Or if I shrink the filesystem on a partition (leaving unused space on the partition) and then use metadata version 1.0? (not sure I can do that, everything I’ve seen resizes the partition too)

An unrelated question: I’ve heard some implementations RAID-1 mirroring will load balance reads between the disks at the process level but not striping of reads within a thread?  How does linux raid handle this?  Seems like the kernel could stripe the read requests regardless of being single threaded, but maybe there’s some complication of guaranteeing coherency with writes to each drive?

Thanks!
 -Ethan--