Re: Problem diagnosing rebuilding raid5 array

On 15/10/2013 15:14, peter@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Thanks Brian.

Yes, I replaced sdh because it showed read errors in dmesg and was kicked out of the array.

But has the new sdh been rebuilt completely? If that case there should be n-1 drives? Or does "spare" just means that it can be used but has no data yet?

That's what I'm not sure about. It is "clean" but it is also "spare". I'm not sure what state would be seen while it is rebuilding.

When the old sdh had a problem, did you mdadm /dev/mdXXX --fail /dev/sdh?

And after you inserted the new drive, and presumably did mdadm /dev/mdXXX --add /dev/sdh, did you see it start to rebuild in /proc/mdstat?

Also I have my old sdh with data on it but I don't know how current that data is but perhaps I can use that somehow?

You could mdadm --examine it, but I suspect that the event count will be way out of line by now.