Re: Problem diagnosing rebuilding raid5 array

Thanks Brian, that's a good point.

In this case the case fans are running constant speed and only the cpu fan is PWM controlled. So the temperature over the drives should have been more or less OK.

Unfortunately the BIOS on this Intel motherboard didn't show fan speed or temperatures as it probably should so there was no alarms going off.

On another note, I took the failed drive I replaced in my array (/dev/sdh) and put it in another machine (win7) and run Western Digital's diagnosis software and it says the drive is OK.

I'm wondering if perhaps it's possible the CPU has been running too hot and the raid array failed because of that.

Anyway, I'm still at loss what to do and what my next step should be...

Thanks,
Peter