Re: Multiple SSDs - RAID-1, -10, or stacked? TRIM?

Hi,

On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 10:42:07AM +0200, David Brown wrote:
> Then for each pair of SSD, make a triple mirror with the two SSD's, and
> a "write-mostly" hard disk raid partition.  All writes will be then get
> an extra copy on the hard disk, while reads will always come from the
> SSD's, and therefore be at the same low latency and high speed as
> before, and will not use up the HD's bandwidth on reads.  And if both
> your SSD's die, you have the extra copy on the hard disk.  It will run
> like treacle, but it will run.

I've done that and found some bugs. Neil has already fixed that
btw :-).
Write-mostly with a write-behind works mostly correct, all O will
be lagging waiting for the disk to catch up, but reads are really
really fast. In our case we had a single hard disk paired with a
single SSD. The blade could not hold more and we were not
confident enough with SSD. Well, if the SSD breaks, so does your
server, but then of high load ;-). (Actually the server doesn't
break, but your application will).

Personally I would try a raid-1 with two different manufacturers
SSD (or some brands you have really tested under continuous high
load), bcache and then the old array.
And I mean try: as in have a redundant setup.