Re: raid10 recovery assistance requested

Good morning Dave,

On 09/23/2013 12:55 AM, Dave Gomboc wrote:

[trim /]

Good news.

> [Actually, I mounted these rw first, then realized that I shouldn't
> have, unmounted them, and re-mounted them read-only.]
>
> root@sysresccd /mnt % mount -o ro -t ext3 /dev/mapper/teramooch-root /mnt/root
> root@sysresccd /mnt % mount -o ro -t ext3 /dev/mapper/teramooch-home /mnt/home
> root@sysresccd /mnt % mount -o ro -t ext3 /dev/mapper/teramooch-tmp /mnt/tmp
> root@sysresccd /mnt % mount -o ro -t ext3 /dev/mapper/teramooch-usr /mnt/usr
> root@sysresccd /mnt % mount -o ro -t ext3 /dev/mapper/teramooch-var /mnt/var
> root@sysresccd /mnt % mount -o ro -t ext3 /dev/mapper/teramooch-opt /mnt/opt
>
> These mount attempts returned without error, and ls within the
> directories is possible.
>
> However, the large, important one doesn't mount:
>
> root@sysresccd /mnt % mount -o ro -t ext3 /dev/mapper/teramooch-srv /mnt/srv
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/mapper/teramooch-srv,
>        missing codepage or helper program, or other error
>        In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
>        dmesg | tail or so
>
> root@sysresccd /mnt % mount -o ro /dev/mapper/teramooch-srv /mnt/srv
> NTFS signature is missing.
> Failed to mount '/dev/mapper/teramooch-srv': Invalid argument
> The device '/dev/mapper/teramooch-srv' doesn't seem to have a valid NTFS.
> Maybe the wrong device is used? Or the whole disk instead of a
> partition (e.g. /dev/sda, not /dev/sda1)? Or the other way around?
>
> It should be ext3, not NTFS.

Since you are sure it is ext3, then you should use "fsck.ext3 -y" to fix
it.  I usually try that operation first with "-n" instead of "-y", but
your mount attempts show that the "-n" would be superfluous.  If fsck
scrambles that volume worse, then you'll have to recopy from your
backups and redo the forced assembly.  Or try with the other two disks.

Phil