Re: How-to for enabling TRIM for SSD RAID-1 arrays?

On Fri, 13 Sep 2013, Derek Piper wrote:

I have 2 Sandisk Extreme 120GB SSDs (Sandforce 2281 with latest
firmware - R211). I have indeed heard that TRIM was desirable to limit
the effects of write amplification and to keep the write performance
to a good level throughout the life of the drive(s). This machine is a
home file/print/web/mysql server (the real large data being on regular
7200RPM HDD RAID arrays). The SSDs are for boot, root and home
directories.

You're most likely much better off by just using 80 gigs out of those 120 gig drives (don't use all space for partition) to avoid write amplification.

TRIM has performance problems on some hardware (takes a long time per block), it's probably just better and easier to just keep blocks unused (never written to) and ignore TRIM.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Write_amplification#Over-provisioning

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike@xxxxxxxxx