Re: How-to for enabling TRIM for SSD RAID-1 arrays?

I have 2 Sandisk Extreme 120GB SSDs (Sandforce 2281 with latest
firmware - R211). I have indeed heard that TRIM was desirable to limit
the effects of write amplification and to keep the write performance
to a good level throughout the life of the drive(s). This machine is a
home file/print/web/mysql server (the real large data being on regular
7200RPM HDD RAID arrays). The SSDs are for boot, root and home
directories.

A periodic 'garbage collection' type TRIM operation would be fine, and
can be run at a cron job I see. It was not clear to me how the md-raid
went about enabling that at the device level so fstrim would even
work.

In looking over the SanDisk Extreme with SandForce stuff relating to
the firmware revision it appears that it is 5.03 or 5.04 in revision
R211. It's possible that it might just not be worth it. I had a
feeling that by enabling TRIM it would help my drives out. If that's
not the case then it may best be left alone.

Thanks,

Derek

--
Derek Piper - derek.piper@xxxxxxxxx