Re: Does the chunk size of RAID5 really mean the "smallest atomic" mass of data?

On Mon, 19 Aug 2013 10:10:18 +0900 taejin1999@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I have counted the number of write requests from the raid disks which are
> implemented as virtual block devices.
> The result is
>   ** the larger chunk size is, the more write requests are received per
> device.

That is peculiar.  How do the sizes of the write requests compare?

> I was wondering what the "chunk size" means on RAID5 of mdadm.
> According to below site, chunk is the smallest atomic mass of data that
> can be written to the device.

That isn't correct.

> (https://raid.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/RAID_setup)

The text for chunksize for RAID5 is a little unclear, but I'm not sure how
you reached the above conclusion from it.

> The source code, however, seems to work differently.
> As I know, mdadm issues bio to each device in ops_run_io function.

It is "md" that issues bios etc.  "md" is the kernel driver.  "mdadm" is the
tool for ADMinistering MD arrays.

> In the code, the size of bio is set to be only STRIPE_SIZE.
> I think the device would get STRIPE_SIZE-sized data which is smaller than
> the chunk size.

Correct.  Though the elevator might merge bios together.

> Is the chunk size not smallest data that can be written to the device?

It is not

> Or is there any procedure that merge the STRIPE_SIZE-sized data into
> chunk-sized data?

That depends on the lower level device that received the bios from md.  It
might merge multiple bios into single requests.

> I am looking forward to your reply.
> Thank you.
>
> PS) Could you guess why more writes are issued for larger chunk size?

Maybe there are more read-modify-write cycles so the parity gets updates
multiple times.

NeilBrown