Re: Mdadm server eating drives

On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 8:50 PM, Stan Hoeppner <stan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 7/2/2013 3:58 PM, Barrett Lewis wrote:
> >> I assume this resides on a different machine.
> >
> > 4 drives in an external USB enclosure.  3 are a RAID0.
>
> Ok, so this is your workstation, not a dedicated server?  Does it have a
> PCIe GPU?  If so what wattage?  Ok, if you don't know that, what model?

This is all about my dedicated server.  The external enclosure with
the 4 drives, 3 of which in a raid0 is just something I used for
creating an emergency backup, and was plugged directly into the server
via USB, (has it's own power supply too).  The server is using the
onboard video card on the Asrock z77 extreme 4.

> >> Were the drives were attached to the onboard SATA controller or an HBA?
> >
> > All 6 drives and my OS SSD are plugged into onboard SATA.
>
> I counted 8 drives in the picture.

The other 2 drives in the picture are the source drives that had the
original data that the array was initially populated with.  They are
not plugged into power or data.  Just taking up space, really.  I
never took them out because I always intended to grow the array onto
them, but then failures started.

> > https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1w3WvCHlYUWSGdBdjh3dWpuUnc/edit?usp=sharing
>
> Drives don't beep, they can't.  They don't contain transducers, never
> have.  And you don't have a RAID card.  So that beep must be from the
> motherboard connected PC speaker, which means you have raidmon or
> another md monitoring daemon active.  If this is the case it was simply
> giving an audible alert that a drive had been dropped.

So, I accept that you know this stuff better than me, but I was pretty
sure that noise was coming out of the drives (and had never seen or
heard of anything like that before so I was very surprised).  When I
first built the machine I heard it once when a drive was jarred, when
the caddy wasn't pushed all the way back and I pushed it till it
clicked while it was running, and something made a quick "beep", which
I thought was odd.  Then the day these failures started, it sounded
like there were the same "beeping" noises coming out of several drives
all at once, out of sync with each other, sometimes the sounds
overlapping with each other, sometimes with pitches offset, it really
didn't sound like a single source at all.  But I guess could have been
mistaken.  I have been really curious about this "beeping" issue since
it is so bizarre.  Anyway like I said only 2 of those original 6 (they
were seagate ST2000DM001) remain.

> For troubleshooting purposes I'd think any recent 400+ watt ATX PSU you
> have lying around should work, assuming there's no high wattage PCIe GPU
> card in the box sucking +12V power, and assuming you have all the
> necessary y-cables and SATA power adapters, etc.  Try a spare PSU if
> possible before plunking cash on a possibly unneeded replacement.
>
> For a permanent replacement, I'll tell ya, they're all of pretty much
> similar quality today, except for the fan, after you get off the very
> bottom of the barrel.  Cheap units come with cheap sleeve bearing fans
> that don't last.  I buy near the bottom of the barrel and replace the
> fans on day one.  I buy quality fans in bulk on closeout/overstock/etc
> every few years specifically for this purpose.  Most don't have standard
> 2 pin PC connectors so I cut the one off the stock crap fan and solder
> it to the good one.

Cheap alternate PSU seemed to work OK so I went to buy a decent
permanent replacement.  I couldn't find either of the two you
suggested at the store (they were closing and I wanted to get this
done).  So I ended up going with a 750w corsair CX750M.  Like magic,
with a new power supply most of the drives seem to be back working,
except the first two that failed out yesterday.  It seems like maybe
the event counters (or something) are too far behind to assemble them
back.  That said, md0 mounts fine and fsck returned clean, so that
deserves some kinda hooray!

Here is some data about the two (sdd and sdf) that won't socialize
with the other disks.

sudo mdadm --assemble --force --verbose /dev/md0 /dev/sd[a-f]
mdadm: looking for devices for /dev/md0
mdadm: /dev/sda is identified as a member of /dev/md0, slot 4.
mdadm: /dev/sdb is identified as a member of /dev/md0, slot 0.
mdadm: /dev/sdc is identified as a member of /dev/md0, slot 5.
mdadm: /dev/sdd is identified as a member of /dev/md0, slot 1.
mdadm: /dev/sde is identified as a member of /dev/md0, slot 3.
mdadm: /dev/sdf is identified as a member of /dev/md0, slot 2.
mdadm: added /dev/sdd to /dev/md0 as 1 (possibly out of date)
mdadm: added /dev/sdf to /dev/md0 as 2 (possibly out of date)
mdadm: added /dev/sde to /dev/md0 as 3
mdadm: added /dev/sda to /dev/md0 as 4
mdadm: added /dev/sdc to /dev/md0 as 5
mdadm: added /dev/sdb to /dev/md0 as 0
mdadm: /dev/md0 has been started with 4 drives (out of 6).

and from dmesg
[ 4481.356723] md: bind<sdd>
[ 4481.356850] md: bind<sdf>
[ 4481.357007] md: bind<sde>
[ 4481.357134] md: bind<sda>
[ 4481.357248] md: bind<sdc>
[ 4481.357365] md: bind<sdb>
[ 4481.357395] md: kicking non-fresh sdf from array!
[ 4481.357400] md: unbind<sdf>
[ 4481.374480] md: export_rdev(sdf)
[ 4481.374484] md: kicking non-fresh sdd from array!
[ 4481.374488] md: unbind<sdd>
[ 4481.394486] md: export_rdev(sdd)
[ 4481.396164] md/raid:md0: device sdb operational as raid disk 0
[ 4481.396168] md/raid:md0: device sdc operational as raid disk 5
[ 4481.396171] md/raid:md0: device sda operational as raid disk 4
[ 4481.396173] md/raid:md0: device sde operational as raid disk 3
[ 4481.396571] md/raid:md0: allocated 6384kB
[ 4481.396805] md/raid:md0: raid level 6 active with 4 out of 6
devices, algorithm 2
[ 4481.396808] RAID conf printout:
[ 4481.396810]  --- level:6 rd:6 wd:4
[ 4481.396812]  disk 0, o:1, dev:sdb
[ 4481.396814]  disk 3, o:1, dev:sde
[ 4481.396815]  disk 4, o:1, dev:sda
[ 4481.396817]  disk 5, o:1, dev:sdc
[ 4481.396848] md0: detected capacity change from 0 to 8001056407552
[ 4481.426011]  md0: unknown partition table

sudo mdadm -E /dev/sd[a-f] | nopaste
http://pastie.org/8105693

sudo smartctl -x /dev/sdd | nopaste
http://pastie.org/8105706

sudo smartctl -x /dev/sdf | nopaste
http://pastie.org/8105707

Are sdd and sdf just too out of sync?  Should I zero the superblocks
and re-add them to the array?  Or I could replace them (I have two
unopened WD reds here, but I'd like to return them if I don't really
need them right now).

Thanks for the advice about the PSU, I would have never dreamed it
would cause behaviour like that.