Re: Mdadm server eating drives

On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 2:44 PM, Stan Hoeppner <stan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 7/2/2013 10:48 AM, Barrett Lewis wrote:
>> After sending the last email I went out and bought 2 new WD reds, and
>> a new motherboard.  I came back and in those 2 hours all but 1 of my
>> drives failed to the point of being unable to read the superblock so
>> it really seems like my array is ended
>
> The drive may be ok.  They all may be.

Indeed. A number of years back, I had an MD RAID array that kept
throwing drives, one after the other, after years of rock-solid
stability. Nothing had changed, the machine hadn't been touched (or
even rebooted!) in months, etc... It turns out that the motherboard
had gone. It "worked" perfectly, except under any drive load at all it
would start throwing I/O errors. I replaced only the motherboard (same
PSU, memory, CPU, etc....) and that machine - built at least 4 years
ago - is still humming along quite nicely.

--
Jon