Re: mdadm --assemble considers event count for spares

On Tue, 28 May 2013 13:50:49 +0300 Alexander Lyakas <alex.bolshoy@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Neil,
> In my opinion (I may be wrong), a spare drive (raid_disk==-1) doesn't
> add any information to array assembly. It doesn't have a valid raid
> slot, and I don't see how its event count is relevant. I don't think a
> spare can help us much in figuring out array's latest state, which is
> what assembly code tries to do.
> So what I was thinking: mdadm --assemble doesn't consider spare drives
> (raid_disk=-1) at all. It simply skips over them in the initial loop
> after reading their superblocks. Perhaps it can keep them in a side
> list. Then array is assembled with non-spare drives only.
>
> After array is assembled, we may choose one of the following:
> # User has to explicitly add the spare drives after array has been
> assembled. Assemble can warn that some spares have been left out, and
> tell the user what they are.
> # Assemble adds the spare drives (perhaps after zeroing their
> superblocks even), after it assembled the array with non-spare drives.

Hi,
 I have just committed

  http://git.neil.brown.name/?p=mdadm.git;a=commitdiff;h=f80057aec5d314798251e318555cb8ac92e4c06f

which I believe fixes this issue.  If you can test and confirm I would
appreciate it.

NeilBrown