Re: SSD + Rust as raid1

On May 31, 2013, at 2:25 PM, Stan Hoeppner <stan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 5/31/2013 2:30 AM, Roman Mamedov wrote:
>
>> Sorry but what is "Rust drive partition"? At first I thought it's some
>> software layer like 'bcache' or some other non-regular block device. Then I
>> think I got it, but can you please leave at home your own petty cutesy
>> terminology when asking a serious question on a serious mailing list?
>
> Mechanical disk drive platters have always possessed a ferrous film
> (Iron oxide--rust) coating layer which is the magnetic recording
> surface.  If you look at the old 12" drives the platters are red because
> back then they literally used iron oxide as the platter coating.  Today
> platters are a shiny chrome color because the coatings contain other
> elements as well and the coating is much more dense.
>
> Before SSDs one could say "HDD" and everyone knew what this meant.
> Today "HDD" can mean either mechanical hard disk drive or SSD. To easily
> differentiate, it has become commonplace to refer to mechanical hard
> drives simply as "rust" because it's quicker to type and universally
> understood.  If this is the first time you're seeing this term that's a
> bit surprising.

It would seem to be rather misleading to call a SSD a Hard Disk Drive since they have no disks... it should be quite understandable to say HDD+SSD

I have also never heard of this "Rust" terminology, it would also seem to be rather counterintuitive to create new names for things with distinctive names already.  A Hard Drive can refer to either, yes... but not a Hard DISK Drive.

disk
/disk/

Noun
	• A flat, thin, round object: "heavy metal disks the size of hockey pucks"; "onion soup ladled over a disk of cheese".
	• An information storage device for a computer in the shape of a round flat plate that can be rotated to give access to all parts of the disk.

v/r
Sam