Re: SSD + Rust as raid1

On 5/31/2013 2:30 AM, Roman Mamedov wrote:

> Sorry but what is "Rust drive partition"? At first I thought it's some
> software layer like 'bcache' or some other non-regular block device. Then I
> think I got it, but can you please leave at home your own petty cutesy
> terminology when asking a serious question on a serious mailing list?

Mechanical disk drive platters have always possessed a ferrous film
(Iron oxide--rust) coating layer which is the magnetic recording
surface.  If you look at the old 12" drives the platters are red because
back then they literally used iron oxide as the platter coating.  Today
platters are a shiny chrome color because the coatings contain other
elements as well and the coating is much more dense.

Before SSDs one could say "HDD" and everyone knew what this meant.
Today "HDD" can mean either mechanical hard disk drive or SSD. To easily
differentiate, it has become commonplace to refer to mechanical hard
drives simply as "rust" because it's quicker to type and universally
understood.  If this is the first time you're seeing this term that's a
bit surprising.

--
Stan