Re: vess raid stripes disappear

On Thu, 09 May 2013 07:59:41 -0700
Keith Keller <kkeller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 2013-05-09, mashtin.bakir@xxxxxxxxx <mashtin.bakir@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I have an interesting problem with a Vessraid 1830s.
>
> Is this a hardware RAID controller?  If so, you are probably looking for
> a different group.  This mailing list is specific to linux md software
> RAID.  You can try the comp.os.linux.misc newsgroup instead.

I (also) was under impression that linux-raid is not just for md, but for all
kinds of RAID in GNU/Linux. It's just that historically it's mostly about md.

However the poster is highly unlikely to find anyone experienced with an
obscure h/w RAID controller here (I am almost willing to bet that majority of
the readers see the name "Vess RAID" for the first time in that very post).

My advice to them would be to switch the controller into a dumb SATA HBA mode
if possible, and use the Linux Software RAID (indeed, md). Here are some
reasons why: http://linux.yyz.us/why-software-raid.html

--
With respect,
Roman