Re: Failed during rebuild (raid5)

>>>>> "Mikael" == Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

Mikael> On Fri, 3 May 2013, John Stoffel wrote:
>> We've got all these compute cycles kicking around that could be used to
>> make things even more reliable, we should be using them in some smart
>> way.

Mikael> I would like to see mdadm tell the user that RAID5 is not a recommended
Mikael> raid level for component drives over 200 TB in size and recommend people
Mikael> to use RAID6, and ask for confirmation from the operator to go ahead and
Mikael> create RAID5 anyway if operator really wants that.

200T?  Isn't that a little big?  *grin*  Actually I think the warning
should be based on both number of devices in the array and the size of
members and the speed of the individual devices.

Makeing a RADI5 with 10 RAM disks that are 10Gb each in size and can
write at 500MB/s might not that bad a thing to do.  I'm being a little
silly here, but I think the idea is right.  We need to account for all
three factors of a RAID5 array:  number of devices, size, and speed of
each devices.

John