Re: Use RAID-6!

On Tue, 16 Apr 2013 22:05:53 +0200
Carsten Aulbert <Carsten.Aulbert@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The problem I find with RAID1 is that it won't protect you against
> silent corruptions (same as RAID5). What do you do if you do a through
> check and both drives claim a data block is valid and intact, but data
> differs? Do you trust disk1 or disk2?
>
> In that respect I think RAID1 is a step into the wrong direction :(

Then use btrfs RAID1 where every data and metadata block is checksummed and in
case some array member returns blocks with invalid checksums, this is healed
from others which still have the correct ones.

(Although currently btrfs "RAID1" stores data on *two disks*, no matter how
many you have in the array; so it's a bit unconventional).

--
With respect,
Roman