Re: Need some information about mdadm 3.2.5

On Mar 26, 2013, at 11:28 PM, Hans-Peter Jansen <hpj@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Tarak,
>
> On Mittwoch, 27. März 2013 05:17:19 Tarak Anumolu wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> My name is TARAK.
>>
>> We got some problem in using mdadm 3.2.5.
>>
>> We are trying to do RAID operation on 8 harddisks each of size 1TB with 7
>> harddisks as raid devices and 1 hard disk as spare device.
>
>> Command : mdadm -C /dev/md0 -f --meta-version 0.9 -l5 -n7 -x1 /dev/sd[a-h]1
>
> Obviously, you already created partitions on your harddisks.
>
>> After the RAID operation is completed when we check the status,
>
> Beware, the raid creation is a long process, working in background.
>
> To check your md, use: "cat /proc/mdstat". This is the most important command
> in using linux md.
>
>> We are
>> getting the following errors.
>
>> # parted - s  /dev/md0 print
>> Model: Linux Software RAID Array (md)
>> Disk /dev/md0: 6001GB
>> Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
>> Partition Table: gpt
>> Number Start End Size File system Name Flags
>> 1 1049kB 60.0GB 60.0GB xfs primary
>> 2 60.0GB 6001GB 5941GB primary
>
> Now, you want to access the md partition as a harddisk?!?
>
> What you're trying to do makes little sense. Think of the md partition as an
> ordinary one. Partitioning happens *before* md creation (if necessary at all,
> as you can create your mds directly on the harddisks, as long as you need just
> one md, and don't want to boot from it). The *next* logical step here is
> creating a filesystem on the md partition.
>
> E.g.: mkfs.xfs /dev/md0
>
> Then assign a mount point (in /etc/fstab), and use it. Call back (to this ML),
> when you reached this point, as there are a few more important steps to follow
> for maximum enjoyment.
>
> Cheers,
> Pete
>
> --

I would only add that if you do want to split it into smaller sections, you may be interested in LVM on RAID.  I also wonder why you chose metadata 0.9 as that limits you in the future if you ever wish to use large devices (>2TB or 4TB depending on your kernel)