Re: Need some information about mdadm 3.2.5

Hi Tarak,

On Mittwoch, 27. März 2013 05:17:19 Tarak Anumolu wrote:
> Hi
>
> My name is TARAK.
>
> We got some problem in using mdadm 3.2.5.
>
> We are trying to do RAID operation on 8 harddisks each of size 1TB with 7
> harddisks as raid devices and 1 hard disk as spare device.

> Command : mdadm -C /dev/md0 -f --meta-version 0.9 -l5 -n7 -x1 /dev/sd[a-h]1

Obviously, you already created partitions on your harddisks.

> After the RAID operation is completed when we check the status,

Beware, the raid creation is a long process, working in background.

To check your md, use: "cat /proc/mdstat". This is the most important command
in using linux md.

> We are
> getting the following errors.

>  # parted - s  /dev/md0 print
>  Model: Linux Software RAID Array (md)
>  Disk /dev/md0: 6001GB
>  Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
>  Partition Table: gpt
>  Number Start End Size File system Name Flags
>  1 1049kB 60.0GB 60.0GB xfs primary
>  2 60.0GB 6001GB 5941GB primary

Now, you want to access the md partition as a harddisk?!?

What you're trying to do makes little sense. Think of the md partition as an
ordinary one. Partitioning happens *before* md creation (if necessary at all,
as you can create your mds directly on the harddisks, as long as you need just
one md, and don't want to boot from it). The *next* logical step here is
creating a filesystem on the md partition.

E.g.: mkfs.xfs /dev/md0

Then assign a mount point (in /etc/fstab), and use it. Call back (to this ML),
when you reached this point, as there are a few more important steps to follow
for maximum enjoyment.

Cheers,
Pete