Re: Western Digital Green 3TB SATA3 experiences

Quoting "Roman Mamedov" <rm@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> On Wed, 20 Mar 2013 10:09:42 +0200
> "Andris Berzins" <pkix@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> I am running RAID5 array on 6x 3TB WD SATA disks.
>> I have problems with all of these disks (including replaced one).
>> Disks are being randomly kicked out from array and SMART shows
>> pending sectors which usually can be fixed by read-write or write to that se
>>ctor.
>
> Perhaps you have a problem with something other than the drives, e.g.:
>
> - a bad or insufficient PSU, providing too low (or too high) voltage over 5V
> or 12V (this could manifest only under load, too);

I have bought 550W PSU specially for this. The server is connected through APC UPS.

> - not enough cooling?

Putting a hand temperature seems lightly warm.

> - inadequate case, resulting in overly high vibration or even resonance?

Well, the case is average workstation case.

>> Has anyone experienced something similar with WD green series?
>
> If you see a sectors repeatedly appearing that become unreadable but are fix
>ed
> after a write, it is usually a symptom of a drive that is partially defectiv
> and should be exchanged.

That one which I exchanged worked for 3 month without problems.

> But since you have this symptom with all of them, maybe the cause is differe
>nt.
>

>> Is this because of WD "green" series?
>
> No.

"Green" series are special because they spin down after 7 seconds and they do not
return in timely manner when read error occurs.