Re: Set disk faulty / hot disk remove ioctl bug for read-only MD?

On Thu, 14 Feb 2013, NeilBrown wrote:

> That all looks good.  I could probably argue that removing a device from a
> read-only array should be permitted but I don't know that it is really
> important.
>

> > Quick question for Neil -- should the sysfs MD component device state
> > file interface perform the same transition from auto-read-only to
> > read-write, or is that route intended for more granular changes?
> >

> Good question.
> I think they should definitely transition from auto-read-only to read-write.
> Whether they should be denied  for read-only devices I'm less certain of.
> I'll look into that.

For example, if one disk of a read-only RAID1 happens to be removed, what
should the user do if he wants MD to release its references to that
device?  For read-write (and auto-read-only after your change), the user
can issue mdadm --fail then --remove.  However, if the MD is read-only, is
stopping the MD the only way to close the device?  What happens if the
disk is re-inserted and added to the MD?

Regards,

-- Joe