Re: Unable to reactivate a RAID10 mdadm device

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 2:12 PM, Dave Cundiff  wrote:

> According to what I can see your array refuses to start because the
> mirrored pair sdb1 and sdc1 are both out of sync. Both are showing an
> event count of zero. That generally means the disk has never attempted
> to sync. The device role of "spare" on both of these disks reinforces
> that fact.

Monday, evening when I swapped in a good HDD (with the /dev/sdb1
member), the other three devices were working fine.

In fact, the device /dev/md0 was mounted on /mnt/md0, using System
Rescue CD Live session.

> Are you sure sdc1 was active, sync'd, and in the array before sdb1 failed?
> Could you have accidentally cleared the superblock on sdc1 as well?

I used 'watch cat /proc/mdstat' to watch the rebuild progress and the
progress bar showed completion (100%) mark.
When I broke out of this session and thereafter did 'cat /proc/mdstat'
 I noticed that not only was /dev/sdb1 not added but /dev/sdc1 was
also not part of the array anymore.   With two failed devices,
/dev/md0 was still working mounted on /mnt/md0.

I did not clear the superblock on /dev/sdc1.

Tue AM, after reboot, /dev/md0 remains in inactive state.

Please let me know if you can think of anything that will get me out
of this mess.

I will try to use a  distro with a new version of mdadm + kernel.

Thanks.
-- Arun Khan