Re: recovering RAID5 from multiple disk failures

On Feb 2, 2013, at 5:23 PM, Phil Turmel <philip@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I do disagree.
>
> The above, combined with:
>
>> I do know where the bad sectors are from the ddrescue report. We are
>> talking about less that 50kB bad data on disk1. Unfortunately, disk3
>> is worse, but there is no sector that is bad on both disks.
>
> Leads me to recommend "mdadm --create --assume-clean" using the original
> drives, taking care to specify the devices in the proper order (per
> their "Raid Device" number in the --examine reports).  I still haven't
> seen any data that definitively links specific serial numbers to
> specific raid device numbers.  Please do that.
>
> After re-creating the array, and setting all the drive timeouts to 7.0
> seconds, issue a "check" scrub:
>
> echo "check" >/sys/block/md0/md/sync_action
>
> This should clean up the few pending sectors on disk #1 by
> reconstruction from the others, and may very well do the same for disk #3.
>
> If disk #3 gets kicked out at this point, assemble in degraded mode with
> disk #2, #4, and a fresh copy of disk #1 (picking up the new superblock
> and any fixes during the partial scrub).  Then "--add" a spare (wiped)
> disk and let the array rebuild.
>
> And grab your data.

OK I understand. This seems reasonable to me as well. It is very important to get *each* drive's SCT ERC's set before starting the check!

So basically disk1 being out of sync in this instance is considered minimal, and worth taking a chance on in order to avoid losing the 50kb of data affected by bad sectors; because they may be all the difference in easily getting the array up, mounted, and the data off the disk.

Chris Murphy--