Re: Huge values of mismatch_cnt on RAID 6 arrays under Fedora 18

On Jan 31, 2013, at 1:05 PM, Wolfgang Denk <wd@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Ah!  Do you have any pointer for me how to access stuff there?
http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/
Type in kernel for search.
Click on a result that has a green check for state.
Find the rpm you want, right click download.

You can use rpm -ivh --force to install an older kernel.

>>> With the current Fedora kernel, the first check will report errors
>>> which do not go away permanently, not even with a "repair".
>>
>> This is 3.7.4-204?
>
> Correct.
>
>> Hypothetically this should be reproducible by anyone using that kernel, by creating a new raid6, running repair, and then running check and confirming thee mismatch count is non-zero.
>
> Actually just running check should be sufficient - that was how I
> discovered the issue: I received warning mails from the "raid-check"
> cron job.

But check alone doesn't reproduce the problem because the check *might* be finding valid mismatches, however unlikely on a new raid array. The problem is doing a repair which should fix any mismatches, running check still finding mismatches then is a huge bug for the scrub process for sure; and if some parity is actually being computed wrong, or written on disk wrong, then it's a possible data loss bug in addition. Not just (maybe bogus) errors.

> This is what surprises me most.  I would have expected at least some
> "me too!" by now…

If there were a study that said 95% of users using md raid never do scrubs, either check or repair, I would not be surprised at all.

> For me it is sufficient to:
>
> - boot the 3.7.4-204
> - bring up the array
> - run "check"
>
> It comes up with mismatch_cnt=0 after boot, and some huge number while
> / after the check.

If check is non-zero following a repair, with one kernel version but not another, it's a software bug.

Chris Murphy