Re: Suboptimal raid6 linear read speed

On Sun, 20 Jan 2013, Peter Grandi wrote:

NB: while in general I think that most (euphemism) less informed
people should use only RAID10, there are a few narrow cases where
the rather skewed performance envelopes of RAID5 and even of RAID6
match workload and budget requirements. But it takes apparently
unusual insight to recognize these cases, so just use RAID10 even
if you suspect it is one of those narrow cases.

In your whole post you never touched on URE rates (well you did, but you didn't seem to this was a problem).

I'm using RAID6 because I don't really care about performance, but I do want to be able to fail one drive and have scattered URE handled while rebuilding. I have had scattered URE hit me numerous times over the past 10 years. With RAID6 they are handled nicely even with a failed drive.

If I cared about performance, I would either do what was discussed earlier in the thread (use smaller enterprise drives with better BER) in RAID10, or I would use threeway mirror RAID1 and use lvm to vg several RAID1:s together.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike@xxxxxxxxx