Re: How do I tell which disk failed?

On Jan 8, 2013, at 2:54 PM, Ross Boylan <ross@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I manually specified the current layout of the bigger disks (sdb and c);
> at least some of the time I specified the exact sector. I picked 34
> because that seems to be the traditional offset for the first partition
> (and the one my tool generated when I gave it sizes in grosser units
> than sectors or told it to start at 0).

Today 34 is both old and incorrect, so you need to redo the layout.

> Apparently some disks do a logical to physical remap that includes an
> offset as well as a change in the sector size.  Should I check for that,
> or should I just assume that I should start my partitions on sectors
> that are multiples of 8?

I know of no disks that change the sector size. It's always 512 logical, 4096 physical for reds. There are supposed to be native 4Kn drives between now and soon, but they aren't switchable between 512e and 4Kn. As for the offset, that still won't work because it'll change the position of your partition map so you'd have to start over anyway, even if it were available, which I don't think it is on a red.

So you just need to use a more recent partition tool and repartition the disks correctly.

> You also asked what I meant by chatter in the logs about sdb.  Here are
> some entries from shortly before the system locked up:
> Jan  6 03:45:24 markov smartd[5368]: Device: /dev/sda, SMART Usage Attribute: 190 Airflow_Temperature_Cel changed from 64 to 65
> Jan  6 03:45:24 markov smartd[5368]: Device: /dev/sda, SMART Usage Attribute: 194 Temperature_Celsius changed from 36 to 35
> Jan  6 03:45:25 markov smartd[5368]: Device: /dev/sdb, SMART Usage Attribute: 194 Temperature_Celsius changed from 108 to 109

smartmontools 5.38 is old, and this red drive isn't in its database, so the data may be interpreted incorrectly. 108 C is very hot. But I wouldn't totally discount it when the drives are all busy on a resync, if you get wildly different Raw_Values for this attribute between sdb and sdc since they're the same drive model.

Chris Murphy