Re: 3TB drives failure rate

I've had interesting cases where WD Green Drives (specifically WD15EARS, WD15EADS) don't necessarily "fail" but suddenly have very slow random/read write performance which slows down the rest of the array. Removing the drive, and replacing it with a (new) drive usually resolves the issue. I have since started to avoid "green" drives due to this issue.

-Peter

On 2012-10-28 5:15 AM, Rainer Fügenstein wrote:
when trying to upgrade my raid5 with 4 Western digital caviar green
3TB drives [WDC WD30EZRX-00MMMB0] (3 brandnew, 1 about 4months old),
the "old" drive and one of the brand new ones failed with
unrecoverable read errors and about 70 reallocated sectors each. the
failures already occured during the initial resync after creating the
raid.

until now I was very fond of WD caviar green drives, but after this
50% failure rate I'm not very eager to restore data from the backup.

what is your experience with 3TB drives, WD and others?

(low power drives appreciated, performance is not an issue)

tnx.