Re: CentOS 6.2 on partition able RAID1 (md_d0) - kernel panic with either disk not present

On Sun, Oct 7, 2012 at 9:43 PM, Arun Khan  wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 7, 2012 at 2:36 PM, John Robinson  wrote:
>> The only thing that occurs to me is:

>> this. Uncomment it, and change to boot=/dev/md_d0p1, and re-run
>> `grub-install`.

I made the above suggested change to grub.conf.

There was an update for grub for CentOS 6.2 which I installed.

I also changed /boot/grub/device.map to include both disks (sda and sdb).

# grub-install /dev/sda

No joy.  I get an error:

               The file /boot/grub/stage1 not read correctly.

I attempted grub installation on /dev/md_d0 as well as /dev/sdb.  I
get the same above error.

I commented the line boot=/dev/... in grub.conf (in effect restore it
to the original content) and still get the same error!

Looks like Grub and md_d0 do not get along :(

Upon querying uncle Google, I  came across this link which is similar
to what I am experiencing.

<http://idolinux.blogspot.in/2009/07/reinstall-grub-bootloader-on-md0.html>

I will report back when I hit upon a solution.

Meanwhile, do let me know if other ideas come to your mind.

I am also considering changing the bootloader to lilo or extlinux.
Please share any experience in configuring either for raid1.

Thanks,
-- Arun Khan