Re: raid1 issue after disk failure: both disks of the array are still active

2012/9/13 Niccolò Belli <darkbasic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> Il 13/09/2012 12:34, Robin Hill ha scritto:
>
>> Has anything actually attempted to read from that part of the array?
>> Even if so, it may just have happened to read from the working disk
>> anyway. md can only detect the error when it tries to read/write that
>> sector of that disk.
>

> I forced a read with "dd if=/dev/md0 of=/dev/null bs=524228 count=1 skip=1", I even get errors in syslog!

you forced read from a block device (md0) that have a md raid1. check
in source of raid1 read balance... it don´t read from all disks, just
from 'near/fasters' disks. to read from all, run check like the
command echo check > /sys/block/md0/md/sync_action

>> Your best bet now is to do an array check:
>>      echo check>  /sys/block/md0/md/sync_action
>>
>> This will force a read of all disks in the array. This should trigger
>> the read error, causing an attempt to re-write the faulty block, in turn
>> causing the drive remap the bad sector (assuming the re-write fails).
>> This should also be scheduled to run regularly for all arrays in order
>> to pick up these sort of issues before they cause major problems during
>> a rebuild.
>

> /etc/init.d/mdadm should do exactly this kind of things (distro is Debian Squeeze). I have this in cron.d:
> 57 0 * * 0 root if [ -x /usr/share/mdadm/checkarray ] && [ $(date +\%d) -le 7 ]; then /usr/share/mdadm/checkarray --cron --all --idle --quiet; fi
>
> Unfortunately it seems it didn't work :(

i´m not a debian expert but, it´s easier to put the bash logic inside
a bash file, and call this file from crond, maybe some part of your
configuration file of cron failed?

> Shouldn't a dd if=/dev/md0 be enough to trigger the read error?

no

> Thanks,
> Niccolò
>
> --