Re: raid5 to utilize upto 8 cores

However, there was a recent thread here about someone with a similar
setup (on hard disks) who had a failure during such a rebuild and had
lots of trouble...

That was me. The rebuilds _did_ happen sequentially, not in parallel. The trouble was that by the time the first one finished, the critical-section backup for the second one was considered too old to be restored, so mdadm --assemble balked. The fix was simply to tell mdadm --assemble to go forward with the old backup; all is well now.

So from my experience, yes, multiple partitions (with magnetic disks) are definitely an administrative hassle, and can sometimes get you into actual trouble. Barring some real benefit to set against those real costs, I'd say it'd be better to not do it. [ :) ]

(BTW David, I found that your constructive commentary added much to the discussion, both here and in my original thread -- thanks.)

-- Flynn

--
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter, and lose
our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.