From: linux-raid-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:linux-raid-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of NeilBrown
Sent: 14 August 2012 23:06
To: Sam Clark
Cc: 'Phil Turmel'; linux-raid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: RAID5 - Disk failed during re-shape

On Tue, 14 Aug 2012 15:40:50 +0200 Sam Clark <sclark_77@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Thanks Neil,
>
> Tried that and failed on the first attempt, so I tried shuffling
> around the dev order.. unfortunately I don't know what they were
> previously, but I do recall being surprised that sdd was first on the
> list when I was looking at it previously, so perhaps a starting point.
> Since there are some 120 different permutations of device order
> (assuming all 5 could be anywhere), I modified the script to accept
parameters and automated it a little further.

> I ended up with a few 'possible successes' but none that would mount (i.e.
> fsck actually ran and found problems with the superblocks, group
> descriptor checksums and Inode details, instead of failing with
> errorlevel 8).  The most successful so far was the ones with SDD as
> device 1 and SDE as device 2.. one particular combination (sdd sde sdb
> sdc sdf) seems to report every time "/dev/md_restore has been mounted
> 35 times without being checked, check forced.".. does this mean we're on
the right combination?

Certainly encouraging.  However it might just mean that the first device is
correct.  I think you only need to find the filesystem superblock to be able
to report that.

> In any case, that one produces a lot of output (some 54MB when fsck is
> piped to a file) that looks bad and still fails to mount.  (I assume
> that "mount -r /dev/md_restore /mnt/restore" I all I need to mount
> with?  I also tried with "-t ext4", but that didn't seem to help either).

54MB certainly seems like more that we were hoping for.
Yes, that mount command should be sufficient.  You could try adding "-o
noload".  I'm not sure what it does but from the code it looks like it tried
to be more forgiving of some stuff.

> This is a summary of the errors that appear:
> Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks, and sizes
> (51 of these)
> Inode 198574650 has an invalid extent node (blk 38369280, lblk 0)
> Clear? no
>
> (47 of these)
> Inode 223871986, i_blocks is 2737216, should be 0.  Fix? no
>
> Pass 2: Checking directory structure
> Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity /lost+found not found.
> Create? no
>
> Pass 4: Checking reference counts
> Pass 5: Checking group summary information Block bitmap differences:
> +(36700161--36700162) +36700164 +36700166
> +(36700168--36700170) (this goes on like this for many pages.. in
> +fact, most
> of the 54 MB is here)
>
> (and 492 of these)
> Free blocks count wrong for group #3760 (24544, counted=16439).
> Fix? no
>
> Free blocks count wrong for group #3761 (0, counted=16584).
> Fix? no
>
> /dev/md_restore: ********** WARNING: Filesystem still has errors
> **********
> /dev/md_restore: 107033/274718720 files (5.6% non-contiguous),
> 976413581/1098853872 blocks
>

> I also tried setting the reshape number to 1002152448 , 1002153984,
> 1002157056 , 1002158592 and 1002160128 (+/ - a couple of multiples)
> but output didn't seem to change much in any case.. Not sure if there
> are many different values worth testing there.

Probably not.

> So, unless there's something else worth trying based on the above, it
> looks to me that it's time to raise the white flag and start again...
> it's not too bad, I'll recover most of the data.
>
> Many thanks for your help so far, but if I may... 1 more question...
> Hopefully I won't lose a disk during re-shape in the future, but just
> in case I do, or for other unforeseen issues, what are good things to
> backup on a system?  Is it enough to backup the /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf
> and /proc/mdstat on a regular basis?  Or should I also backup the
> device superblocks?  Or something else?

There isn't really any need to backup anything.  Just don't use a buggy
kernel (which unfortunately I let out into the wild and got into Ubuntu).
The most useful thing if things do go wrong is the "mdadm --examine" output
of all devices.

> Ok, so that's actually 4 questions  ... sorry :-)
>
> Thanks again for all your efforts.
> Sam

Sorry we couldn't get your data back.

NeilBrown