Re: RAID5 - Disk failed during re-shape

On Sat, 11 Aug 2012 10:42:01 +0200 Sam Clark <sclark_77@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Thanks for the response Phil.
>
> I was thinking that 'toast' was the case, and have been looking into my backups (not so great, though the critical data is fine).

If you've got backups, then that is likely the most reliable solution - sorry.

> I think you are toast, as I saw nothing in the metadata that would give
> you a precise reshape restart position, even if you got Neil to work up
> a custom mdadm that could use it.  The 11.4% could be converted into an
> approximate restart position, perhaps.
>
> Neil, is there any way to do some combination of "create
> --assume-clean", start a reshape held at zero, then skip 11.4% ?

The metadata might contain the precise reshape position - but "mdadm
--examine" won't be displaying it.
If you can grab the last 128K of the device (probably using 'dd' with
'skip=xxx' I would be able to check and see.

If you can tell me:
  exactly how big the devices are (sectors)
  what the chunk size of the array was (probably 64K)

and get me that last 128K of a few devices, then I can provide you a shell
script that will poke around in sysfs and activate the array in read-only
mode which might allow you to mount it and copy out any important data.
After that you would need to re-create the array.

I don't think it is really practical to get the array fully working again
with recreating from scratch once you have all the important data.

NeilBrown