Re: Need to remove failed disk from RAID5 array

Hi,

>>> Read-ahead has absolutely no effect in this context.
>>>
>>> Read-ahead is a function of the page cache.  When filling the page cache,
>>> read-ahead suggests how much more to be read than has been asked for.
>>>
>>> resync/recovery does not use the page cache, consequently the readahead
>>> setting is irrelevant.
>>>
>>> IO scheduler choice may make a difference.
>>

>> It's already set for cfq. I assume that would be the preferred over
>> deadline?
>>
>> I set it on the actual disk devices. Should I also set it on md0/1
>> devices as well? It is currently 'none'.
>>
>> /sys/devices/virtual/block/md0/queue/scheduler
>
> For what it's worth, my experience has beem that deadline works better for
> writes to arrays. In arrays with only a few drives, sometimes markedly
> better.

Guys, it thought it would be worth it to follow up and let you know
that the array eventually did rebuild successfully, and is now fully
functional. It took about 4 full days to rebuild the 3.0T 4-disk RAID5
at about 4M/sec, sometimes much slower.

Thanks again,
Alex