Re: [RFE] Please, add optional RAID1 feature (= chunk checksums) to make it more robust

that´s the point...
in few words....

2012/7/23 Drew <drew.kay@xxxxxxxxx>:
> Been mulling this problem over and I keep getting hung up on one
> problem with ECC on a two disk RAID1 setup.
>
> In the event of silent corruption of one disk, which one is the good copy?
>
> It works fine if the ECC code is identical across both mirrors. Just
> checksum both chunks and discard the incorrect one.
nice we can recover data =)

> It also works fine if the ECC codes are corrupted but the data chunks
> are identical. Discard the bad checksum.
nice we can recover data too =)

> What if the corruption goes across several sectors and both data & ECC
> chuncks are corrupted? Now you're back to square one.
report badblock to upper layer (file system or a mdraid or lvm or
anyother process)
the same should occur on harddisk with known corrupted data
but in this case we know that´s wrong and we can report it! =) that´s
the nice part!
very different from "silent data corruption" where no alert or warning
or error is reported, that´s the today bad part...
ok... you will tell about NEC report? they have this 'software
security' in firmware (i think we could make something similar)

> --
> Drew
>
> "Nothing in life is to be feared. It is only to be understood."
> --Marie Curie
> --

Roberto Spadim
Spadim Technology / SPAEmpresarial