Re: [RFE] Please, add optional RAID1 feature (= chunk checksums) to make it more robust

> it's not normal to lost data but it's possible (electronic problems,
> radioactive problems or another problem not related maybe lost of disk
> magnetic properties)

It might be also caused by a bug in the SATA controller driver.
And nobody can be sure that there will be no new issues in case
of future chipsets and their very first driver versions.

> since we are at block device layer (md) i don't know if we
> could/should implement a recovery algorithm or just a badblock report
> algorithm (checksum)

Direct recovery would be better since it doesn't cost much and lowers
the possibility of data loss due to the second drive's failure.

> maybe for a 'fast' solution you could use raid5 or raid6? while we
> discuss if this could/should/will not be implemented?!
> i think raid5/6 have checksums and others tools to get this type of
> problem while you can use your normal filesystem (ext3? ext4? reiser?
> xfs?) or direct the block device (a oracle database for example or
> mysql innodb)

RAID5/6 would need more drives than I actually have, right? There's
not enough space for 3 drives in those small and cheap mini-ITX based home
routers/servers I started building 3 years ago. Moreover that would mean
a need for better cooling and a higher power consumption and that's
something I'm exactly trying to avoid in this particular case.

I slowly started to accept the idea, that I'll have to migrate my
systems from mdraid to btrfs if there's no solution soon :( I don't
like it much, but there's apparently nothing else I can do about that.

> --
> Roberto Spadim
> Spadim Technology / SPAEmpresarial

Thanks a lot for your answers and have a nice day.

Regards,
Jaromir.

--
Jaromir Capik
Red Hat Czech, s.r.o.

Email: jcapik@xxxxxxxxxx
Web: www.cz.redhat.com
Red Hat Czech s.r.o., Purkynova 99/71, 612 45, Brno, Czech Republic
IC: 27690016