Re: RAID5 superblock and filesystem recovery after re-creation

2012/7/9 NeilBrown <neilb@xxxxxxx>:
> On Mon, 9 Jul 2012 00:45:08 +0200 Alexander Schleifer
> <alexander.schleifer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> 2012/7/9 NeilBrown <neilb@xxxxxxx>:

>> > Sorry about that.  In case you haven't seen it,
>> >    http://neil.brown.name/blog/20120615073245
>> > explains the background

>> > Depends.. Was the original array created on partitions, or on whole devices?
>> > The saved '-E' output should show that.
>> >
>> > Maybe you have the devices in the wrong order.  The order you have looks odd
>> > for a recently created array.
>> >
>> > NeilBrown
>>
>> The original array was created on whole devices, as the saved output
>> starts with e.g. "/dev/sde:".
>
> Right, so you definitely don't want to create partitions.  Maybe when mdadm
> reported "partition table exists' it was a false positive, or maybe old
> information - creating a 1.2 array doesn't destroy the partition table.
>
>> I used the order of the 'Device UUID' from the saved output to
>> recreate the order in the new system (the ports changed due to a new
>> mainboard).
>
> When you say "the order", do you mean the numerical order?
>
> If you looked at the old "mdadm -E" output matching the "Device Role" with
> "Device UUID" to determine the order of the UUIDs, then looked at the
> "mdadm -E" output after the metadata got corrupted and used the "Device UUID"
> to determine the correct "Device Role", then ordered the devices by that Role,
> then that should have worked.

Ok, I used the "Device UUID" only to get the order. Now I reordered my
"mdadm --create..." call according to old "Device Role" and it works
;)

> I assume you did have a filesystem directly on /dev/md0, and hadn't
> partitioned it or used LVM on it?

Yes, the devices all are the same type and so I used the whole device
and created a filesystem directly on /dev/md0.

Now, fsck is running pass 1 for a few minutes with no error. So, I
think that everything is fine and I say thank you for helping get my
raid back to life ;-)

-Alex