Re: It is safe to stop Raid being reshaped

On Fri, 2011-12-30 at 13:16 +0100, Mattias Wadenstein wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Dec 2011, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 29 Dec 2011, Jeremy Thompson wrote:
> >
> >> I thought about this as well - I have an Enermax 450 in there right now...
> >> I'll have to look for a higher watt power supply next I guess.
> >
> > Also look at how your feeds are balanced. Some PSUs have two rails, putting
> > all drives on a single rail causes your load handling capacity to go down
> > significantly. I recommend getting a single rail PSU as well, well above the
> > capacity you think you need.
>
> Not only that, take a good look at both the 5V and 12V specs, and compare
> them to the draw needed by the drives (and the rest of the system). I've
> found that the ammount of 5V available varies lots between PSUs, without
> much correlation with the 12V supply. Which is fine for modern CPUs/GPUs
> which mostly uses 12V, but drives seem to want quite a bit of 5V too.
>
> One other common problem with multiple rail PSUs is that often all the
> useful power connectors (sata/molex) are only on one rail. I wouldn't mind
> multiple rails if I could actually use all of them for drives.
>
> For the 24-drive home build I've done, I've actually ended up running two
> PSUs in parallel (joining ground), but this is hardly something to
> recommend to anyone sane. ;)

I can give you my recommendation for a power supply based on my box.
The box has 22 drives (all 7200), dual core Phenom II, 8 Gig ram.
The PS is a OCZ ModXstream Pro 700. It has been running for over a year
without showing any problems. In a normal steady state the box draws 260
Watts from the wall as measures by a Kill-A-Watt device.