Re: RAID1 seems not to be able to scrub pending sectors shown by smart

On 12/24/2011 08:27 AM, Phil Turmel wrote:

Hi Philip,

On 12/24/2011 05:07 AM, Philip Hands wrote:
[...]
Last night I started a check of the RAID that contained most of the errors on
that disk, and it's pretty much finished (81%), in which time the Pending
sector count is back up to 53. [Erm, 83% and 54 now -- while writing
this mail]

Clearly it's not a particularly happy drive, so I guess that smart will
eventually diagnose it as faulty, but in the mean time it may be a
useful test case for mdadm.

One of those newly pending sectors was found almost immediately, as I
was able to see from the logs, and while that was being dealt with, it
drove the system load up to about 18, and rendered the system
unresponsive for at least 10 seconds, probably more like 20 or 30 (the
normal load once it had chance to settle down again was about 2, on a 6
core CPU, so it wasn't really that busy).

[84% and 55 pending now -- with the first indication being a spike in
load, followed a minute or two later by mention of the read problems in
the logs, but apparently nothing logged by md, so presumably the read
eventually succeeded]

I wonder if a patch might be possible that allows one to put an array
into a mode (or go into said mode once a badblock condition has
happened) that causes it to read from at least 2 possible data sources
and return whichever gets there first...

Well, given that something appears to be blocking in a fairly
disastrous way on the read that's not coming back, I was wondering if
there might be some way of having a timeout on those reads that if one
gets no response for long enough (say 10 seconds) reacts by getting the
data from elsewhere, and overwriting the slow sector.

Have you set up TLER or SCTERC on these drives?  I suspect you haven't, as
these long delays on read errors are typical of default error handling on
consumer drives.

Can you show the complete "smartctl -x" output for this failing drive?

Phil

On my Seagates I turned down the SCTERC to really low (ie .2 seconds) and from what I could see it did not make an obvious difference in the length of the time that the system paused, the pauses appeared to stay at about 30 seconds...which I guess implies that the actual read failed timeout was being hit rather than the disk returning an error in a reasonable time...from the log each time it was forcing a re-write it appeared to be 8 sections of 8 sector each so 32k of data, 64 sectors. I seem to remember there is a way to turn down the disk op timeout...but at least on my system turning it down lower would mean that the disks might not have enough time to spinup out of a sleep...