Re: RAID1 seems not to be able to scrub pending sectors shown by smart

On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 12:39 PM, Philip Hands <phil@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is a little vague I'm afraid, but I've saved the syslogs, so please
> feel free to ask for details if they'd help track down what's happening.
>
> I'm running a relatively busy server (it hosts the VM for
> ftp.uk.debian.org among other things) which has 6 disks, four of which
> are 2TB Western Digital Caviar Black drives.
>
> Each of the 2TB drives is split into a couple of small partitions at the
> front (250MB & 750MB) on which are built 4-way RAID1s containing /boot
> and / respectively, with the rest of the drives split into 4 ~500GB
> chunks, which are then assembled into 5 3-way RAID1s.
>
> A while ago, one of the drives started showing an increasing number of
> pending sectors, over the course of several weeks getting up to 360 or
> so.  Meanwhile another of the drives got up to about 90 pending sectors.
>
> I assumed that by forcing a check, it would read the drives, notice that
> sectors were unreadable, and write the data back from one of the clean
> drives, but having run checks on all drives, the number of pending
> sectors went down by about five or so each time (or once about ten) and
> then crept up again.
>
> So, I went in to the co-lo to see if there was something like a lose
> cable causing the problem, say -- and just before I left I removed the
> drive with fewer pending sectors, zeroed the superblocks to ensure that
> it really would rewrite things, and then added it back in -- it dropped
> the pending sector count from ~90 to 10 quite quickly, at which point
> smart started declaring the dive as failed.  I've now replaced that drive.
>
> The replacement drive was fitted a few days ago, and has now synced up.
>
> While it was syncing, the drive with 360-ish pending sectors started
> throwing many read errors, but the pending sector count remained
> static -- this seems wrong to me.  Surely the md code should notice the
> read errors, and decide to rewrite the data from the remaining drive.
>
> While the read errors were happening, the system performance became dire
> (with system load going up to about 15, as opposed to the normal 1-3,
> and the whole system regularly pausing -- I had previously assumed that
> this might be due to busy networks or dropped packets, but when I was
> on-site I noticed that when a read error was occurring, that all other
> disk activity would halt, as would the responsiveness of the CLI).
>
> So, I failed the 360-pending-sector drive out of the RAID, and all
> returned to normal, performance-wise.
>
> Once the RAID synced (the one remaining disk, and the one that was
> supplied as a replacement), I added the apparently duff dusk back into
> the array, having zeroed its superblock, and made sure that the first
> array to rebuild was the one containing at least some of the pending
> sectors -- it turns out that that partition contained all of the pending
> sectors, as they are now all gone.
>
> None of those sectors has resulted in a reallocated sector, so they were
> [...]

No idea if raid1 was rewriting the sectors or not...but I know my
raid6 was and performance was really bad while it was happening so it
probably would not have help you much.  I was typically seeing 30sec
pauses each time md found a set of bad sectors and forced the
rewrite...this went on for several days until finally smart would
offiically fail one of the drives and I replaced it with another one.
 It appears about the same time smart failed the drive that MD also
did (write failed as the drive appears to have ran out of spare sector
to relocate things to).

I had 4 1.5tb seagate drives from 2009 (bought at different times in
2009) and 3 of those 4 started getting lots of bad sector all within a
2 month period and all 3 finally officially failed smart.and when the
sectors (one after another...lucky they failed out aover 2-3 weeks so
I had got the replacements in before I lost data-I was down to no
redundancy for several days in the middle) were failing and being
rewritten the performance was just ugly--so even if raid1 was
rewriting the drives it does not do anything for performance when the
drives are going bad...the only thing that solved my performance was
getting all of the failing devices to finally fail smart so they could
be RMAed and replaced at minimal cost..