Re: md metadata nightmare

On Sun, Dec 4, 2011 at 1:39 PM, NeilBrown <neilb@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Dec 2011 17:31:06 +0000 wilsonjonathan <piercing_male@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>

>> > So I finished my backup and attempted to recreate the array using:
>> >
>> > root@mythtv:/home/ken# mdadm -C /dev/md3 --metadata=1.0 --chunk=64k
>> > --level=6 --raid-devices=5 missing /dev/sdb4 /dev/sdc4 /dev/sda4
>> > /dev/sdd4 --assume-clean
>> >
>> > and received the error:
>> >
>> > mdadm: invalid chunk/rounding value: 64k
>> >
>> > What do I do now?
>>
>> Omit the "k" only M or G are allowed as the default is to assume K
>>

> Not strictly accurate.  'K' is allowed, though not 'k'.  But the default is
> definitely 'K', so with
>
>  --chunk=64
> or
>  --chunk-64K
>
> should work.
>
> Thanks,
> NeilBrown

I wanted to report back my success (yes, it was successful).  I
appreciate everyone's help, especially Neil Brown.  I was able to
change the metadata from 0.90 to 1.0 without losing any data (which
was good since it would have take 20+ hours to restore).  I even tried
changing my three RAID1 arrays to version 1.00 but stopped at my boot
partition. I now believe I remember reading that  grub2 only
understands version 0.90; regardless, it wouldn't boot with it changed
to 1.0 so I changed it back to 0.90 and all is good. I got rid of the
erroneous super block on the fourth drive and the arrays are
automatically assembled on boot without intervention.

Much obliged for all the quick responses.  Now I just wait for my
replacement drive from Hitachi and things will be back to 100%.

Regards,

Ken Emerson