Re: Ubuntu mdadm Raid and EFI

On 24/11/2011 16:11, Dominique wrote:
Ok, nothing like writing a mail to get intuition for the next steps..

First I simplified the initial setup.
RAID1 for everyone, and only two HDD to start. I'll convert and expand
at a later stage.
I also added an EFI partition ('bootgrup' if I remember well). I did
that on both disk.
Reboot and voila, it boots.

But this kind of negates the RAID1 /boot logic. If the first disk fail,
then what ? No EFI, no boot ?
How - if possible - do you configure EFI to boot from RAID1 across xHDD
to allow boot in degraded mode ?

I haven't used EFI/GPT at all yet, but I imagine the same as the old-fashioned MBR technique: install the boot loader separately on all the devices you might need to boot from. The CentOS and Fedora installers automatically do this for you with MBR and presumably with GPT as well if you configure /boot to be a md RAID-1 i.e. they put grub on all the drives making up /boot, and I would have thought the Ubuntu installer would as well, but you can do it by hand if you have to. Just replicate whatever's on sda to sdb, sdc etc.

Then when your first hard disc fails and you reboot, the BIOS will boot the first hard disc it finds, which will be your second hard disc, and all will be lovely. This doesn't work if your first hard disc is still visible but unreadable, but that's always been the problem, and you need BIOS RAID support (e.g. Intel IMSM) to cope with it.

And a quick suggestion: use RAID 10 for your swap partition, it'll be faster than RAID 1. Since you want to be able to survive 2 disc failures, you probably ought to use layout raid10,f3.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

John.

--